Chicken Tomatillo Soup
Author: Kristen Barkley
Recipe type: Soup
This tasty Chicken Tomatillo Soup is packed full of spices and vegetables making it both hearty and delicious!
- 4 large chicken breast
- 10-12 small tomatillos
- 1 Fresno or Anaheim pepper sliced thin
- 1 jalapeño sliced (slit and leave whole for a milder soup)
- 1 handful fresh cilantro chopped (reserve half for topping)
- 4 C chicken broth
- 1 large lemon halted
- 1 red onion diced
- 4 limes juiced
- 1 small can of chopped chilies
- 3 stalks celery sliced
- 1 T chili powder
- 1 T cumin
- 1 T paprika
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large avocado, optional
- ½ c shredded goat cheddar
- Remove husk from tomatillos.
- Slice lemon in half and use to wash tomatillos and rinse with water.
- Add all but 2 tomatillos to food processor and blend.
- Pour into crockpot along with chicken, chicken broth, peppers, diced chilies, diced onion, sliced celery, ½ the chopped cilantro, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8.
- Serve with your favorite toppings such as avocado and cheese.