Not Your Average Thanksgiving Turkey
Author: Kristen Barkley
Recipe type: Main Dish
This herb infused whole turkey makes for a delicious and moist holiday main dish!
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- 2 small sprigs of thyme
- ¾ c olive oil
- 1½ t whole peppercorn
- 1 t sea salt
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 T chopped shallot
- 3 T pasture butter
- 2 T paprika
- 1 T cayenne
- 1 T sage
- I small onion, quartered
- 2 stalks of celery, cut into 3-4 in pieces
- 1 10-12 lb turkey
- Large cooking syringe
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- In a food processor, add rosemary, thyme, olive oil, peppercorn, salt, garlic, shallot, butter, and 1 teaspoon of paprika and cayenne. Reserve the rest of the paprika and cayenne.
- Blend until smooth.
- Remove turkey from package.
- Pull the neck skin tight and cut off excess skin, but leave enough to cover cavity.
- Remove any loose parts from cavity. (Untie legs if needed.)
- Use a cooking syringe to inject turkey with the blended mixture in several places.
- Separate and lift the skin of the turkey from the breast meat, and massage blended mixture into meat.
- Take remaining blend and massage turkey breast on top of the skin.
- Pour sage into palm and rub on the inside of the turkey.
- Use remaining paprika and cayenne pepper and pat on the outside of the turkey.
- Stuff the inside of the turkey with the onion and celery pieces.
- Roast in preheated oven for 10-15 minutes per pound. (About 2.5 hrs for a 10 lb turkey. Turkey should reach and internal temperature of 165F.)
- Remove from oven and let rest 25-30 minutes.
- Carve and serve!