Tuna Steak Salad
Author: Kristen Barkley
Recipe type: Main Dish
Tuna steak is a great way to get the benefits of eating fish without feeling like you are eating "light." The delicious caper and pepper infused butter adds a delicious and unique touch to this otherwise simple dish. Make sure and leave enough time for the fish to marinate and the butter to refrigerate to enjoy all the tasty flavors this dish has to offer.
- 4 tuna steaks, 8 oz each and about ¾ in thick
- olive oil, to coat tuna
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 T pasture butter, room temperature
- 2 T capers, rinsed and drained
- 1 T red or yellow bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 large bunch fresh arugula (or other comparable salad greens)
- parchment or wax paper
- Rub tuna with olive oil, salt, and plenty of pepper. Set aside to marinate at least 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine butter, capers, and diced peppers. Turn mixture onto a square of parchment or wax paper, and roll into a log about ½ in in diameter. Refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Heat an iron skillet slowly over low heat until very hot (a few drops of water splashed in the pan should evaporate almost immediately(.
- Arrange tuna in skillet, and cook for about 5 minutes on each side (well browned and crisp on the outside and rare to medium on the inside.)
- Arrange arugula on plates or platter and place tuna on top with a slice of caper butter on each steak. Serve immediately