Seasoned Paleo Roasted Chicken
Author: Kristen Barkley
Recipe type: Main Dish
This paleo whole chicken recipe is wonderfully flavored and sure to please the whole family.
- 1 3-4 lb whole chicken
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 T fresh chopped rosemary
- ½ T fresh chopped thyme
- 8-10 boiling onions
- 1 c chicken broth
- 4 cloves whole garlic
- ½ c large diced shallot
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- In a large cast iron skillet heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Rub chicken with salt and pepper
- Add chicken to HOT skillet breast down and brown for 3-4 minutes. Flip chicken to its back and repeat.
- Once complete remove chicken from pan.
- Add shallot, garlic, thyme and rosemary to pan. Add 1 T chicken broth and use wooden spoon to scrape bits. Stir frequently for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat and spoon out onions and herbs. Add to food processor along with remaining chicken broth.
- Return chicken to cast iron pan off heat!
- Turn processor to high until you have an almost smooth broth.
- Use a basting needle and inject broth into meat. If some spills out its ok you will be cooking your chicken in the cast iron pan.
- Place peeled boiling onions in pan along with chicken and place in oven for 1 hr and check temp.
- You want the chicken to reach 180F outside the oven to insure a cooked chicken.
- Once chicken has reached 180 allow chicken to cool for 10 minutes. Slice and serve.