Chicken Caprese Pasta
Author: Kristen Barkley
Recipe type: Main Dish
- 1.5 lbs chicken breast pounded to uniform thickness
- 3 T olive oil
- 1 c good-quality balsamic vinegar
- 2 c grape or cherry tomatoes,
- 1 c almond meal
- 1 t Italian seasoning
- 1½ t parsley (dried of fresh)
- ½ t salt
- ½ t pepper
- ¼ t garlic powder
- 1 c lightly-packed fresh basil, torn
- 4 large zucchini
- 4 large yellow squash
- 1 egg
- ⅓ c coconut milk
- Cashew cheese
- Take chicken breast and place on counter in zip lock bag or between plastic wrap. Pound chicken breast till about ½ inch thickness is reached.
- In shallow mixing bowl add egg and coconut milk and whisk vigorously. In another large bowl mix together almond meal, Italian seasoning, parsley , salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Preheat 2 tbsp of the olive oil in a large skillet on medium high heat. When skillet is hot dip chicken breast in the egg mixture and then coat it well with the almond meal mixture on both sides.
- Place chicken breast immediately into the hot skillet you will only turn chicken 1 time. Turn chicken after 3-5 minutes and cook for 5 more.
- While chicken is cooking, prep "pasta". Take zucchini and yellow squash and wash well. Spin veggies in your veggiette. I do a mixture of thin and thick noodles. Set on a clean dish towel or on a few paper towels to pull some of the water from the vegetables.
- Place a small sauce pan on stove and add balsamic vinegar. Bring to bowl and turn down temp to low simmer. Cook 11-15 minutes siring and checking to make sure its not getting to thick. You want a warm maple syrup consistence not a molasses.
- Cut Cherry tomatoes in half after washing. Take Basil leaves, wash and dry them well. Roll basil leaves and cut into thin strips.
- Chicken should be down cooking. Remove and let sit on plate to allow crusting to set.
- Add zucchini and squash to hot skillet with one tbsp of olive oil. Cook until desired texture is achieved. About 7-9 minutes for soft noodles.
- Remove from skillet and plate. Add chicken. Slice for easier consumption. Add ¼ inch cashew cheese balls (take tip of spoon or small melon baller). Placed sliced basil and tomatoes on top and finish with balsamic reduction. Serve immediately