Chili Stuffed Peppers
Author: Kristen Barkley
Recipe type: Main Dish
This recipe uses simple, bean-less chili and adds it to oven- roasted bell peppers to create a delicious and unique entrée!
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 Medium yellow onion, small diced
- 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 T chili powder
- 2 t sea salt
- 1 t black pepper
- 1 t cumin
- ¼ t cayenne
- 2 18 oz jar diced tomatoes
- 1 18 oz jar crushed tomatoes
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- red pepper flakes to taste, optional
- 4-6 bell peppers
- 1 c shredded goat or sheep cheese of choice
- Heat 1 T olive oil over medium-high heat in large skillet.
- Add onion and cook until translucent and fragrant, about 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add ground beef and chop with wooden spoon.
- Mix with onions and brown, stirring frequently.
- Add garlic, 2 T chili powder, 1 t sea salt, and pepper to meat and stir. Simmer for 2-3 minutes more.
- Transfer to crockpot.
- Add tomatoes and remaining seasonings (1 T chili powder, 1 t sea salt, cumin, and cayenne)
- Stir to combine well.
- Cook on high 4 hours or low for 8 hrs.
- About 45 minutes before chili is done, preheat oven to 350F.
- Cut off tops of peppers and deseed forming a bowl.
- Brush peppers with olive oil and arrange on a baking dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until soft and browned but not wrinkled.
- Remove from oven.
- Spoon chili into each pepper and top with crushed red pepper (if desired) and cheese.
- Put back in oven for 5-7 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Remove and serve!