Cheesy Baked Cauliflower
Author: Kristen Barkley
This amazingly cheesy baked cauliflower dish is so delicious that it's hard to believe it's still good for you! The cheese sauce can be used for other dishes as well!
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into small florets
For the sauce:
- 2 T unsalted butter
- 1 T olive oil
- 4 T blanched almond flour
- ½ c goat or sheep cheese, shredded
- ¾ c coconut milk
- ¾ c organic chicken stock
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 t dried or fresh thyme
- ½ t Dijon mustard (or dry mustard powder)
- sea salt & fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- Cut the cauliflower into even-sized florets, rinse and drain. Boil in a large pot for 3-5 minutes, drain in colander and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350º. Melt the butter and olive oil on medium heat in medium skillet. Whisk the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes, until it becomes very thick. Add the milk and continue whisking— the sauce should still be very thick.
- Add the minced garlic, then chicken stock a little at a time, until the sauce is has thinned out enough to be “pourable”. Reduce the heat to low and add the grated cheese, stirring until it is completely melted.
- Add the thyme, then season, carefully, with salt & pepper and mustard. Give the sauce one final taste, and adjust the final seasonings to your preference.
- Pour the cauliflower into a casserole dish (or individual ramekins). Carefully pour and distribute the cheese sauce, evenly over the top. Sprinkle with additional shredded cheese if desired.
- Bake at 350F for about 20-25 minutes, or until lightly golden and bubbly.