Skillet Chicken Legs, Tomatoes, and Peppers
Author: Kristen Barkley
Recipe type: Main Dish
This cast iron chicken leg recipe combines whole chicken legs with onion, peppers, basil, and garlic for a healthy paleo meal packed with flavor!
- 4 whole chicken legs skin on
- 1 white onion diced
- 2 cloves crushed and diced garlic
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- ½ T dried basil or ¼ c fresh basil, chopped
- 1 jar diced tomatoes
- ½ c chicken broth
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 T chopped parsley
- 2 T olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a cast iron skillet heat oil over med-high heat.
- Add diced onion, garlic and bell pepper.
- Cook 2-3 minutes
- Season chicken with basil, sea salt and pepper and add chicken skin side down.
- Brown and flip.
- Add ¼ c chicken broth (reserve other ¼ c)
- And simmer until liquid gone. Add remaining broth and scrape pan.
- Add diced tomatoes to top of chicken and top with parsley.
- Place in preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Make sure temp has reached 165F and serve.
- Great with spaghetti squash.