Caramelized Onion and Carrot Soup
Author: Kristen Barkley
Recipe type: Soups
This yummy carrot soup is thick and creamy but without the cream!
- 2 lbs baby carrots, steamed
- Japanese Sweet potato, peeled and diced into 1 inch cubes
- 2 large onions, sliced into thin strips
- 3 T pasture butter
- 4 c vegetable broth or stock
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme, left whole
- sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Steam carrots, thyme sprigs, and potato over medium heat.
- In a large skillet, melt butter on med-low heat and add onion.
- Allow to cook slowly and become golden brown and translucent.
- it will take about 30-40 minutes for onions to caramelize.
- Add more butter if needed.
- Remove thyme for steamed carrot and potato mixture.
- In a blender or food processor add ½ stock half onions and half of the carrot sweet potato mixture and blend smooth.
- Add remaining ingredients and salt and pepper and blend until desired texture is reached.
- Serve Hot.