Author: Kristen Barkley
Recipe type: Main Dish
This paleo version of a hearty classic is sure to be a hit! The creamy sauce over squash "noodles" combined with savory beef makes for a healthy and delicious meal.
- 1½ lb ground beef
- 3 T pasture butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 oz white button mushrooms, washed and sliced
- 1 c broccoli florets, optional
- ⅓ c dry white wine
- 1 c beef stock
- ½ c coconut milk
- 1 t oregano
- sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
- handful fresh chopped parsley
- 4 yellow squash or zucchini, spiraled (or 2 packages pre-spiraled zucchini)
- Melt butter over medium heat in a large pan.
- Add onion, mushrooms, and broccoli (if using).
- Cook until lightly caramelized, about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove vegetables from pan and set aside.
- Add beef, oregano, salt, and pepper to pan.
- Cook until beef is completely browned.
- Add mushroom and onion mixture back to the pan and mix well.
- Add the white wine.
- Allow to reduce.
- Add coconut milk and beef stock, and simmer on low for 20 minutes.
- Add parsley and serve over zucchini or yellow squash "noodles."
For the noodles:
- Cut ends off the wide ends of the squash.
- Place squash cut side down into the vegetable slicer.
- Push down and turn squash until the entire squash is sliced into noodles.
- Repeat with the remaining squash.
- Cut noodles in fourths for a more manageable size.
- Can be cooked in oil or sauce. Cook time is dependent on desired texture. May serve them raw for al dente.