Crockpot Barbacoa Style Tacos
Author: Kristen Barkley
Recipe type: Main Dish
These barbacoa style beef tacos are DELICIOUS! The slow-cooked meat combined with the tasty fresh toppings will create a fiesta of flavor in your mouth!
- 2 lbs of boneless beef steak of choice
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 cup of jarred salsa of choice (we used chipotle)
- 1 T cumin
- 1 t minced garlic
- 3 t oregano
- ¼ t ground cloves
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ c beef broth
- 1 T white vinegar
- 3 T lime juice
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 cups of salad greens OR paleo tortillas (store bought or homemade)
- ¼ c chopped cilantro
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- ½ c shredded Dr. Brown approved cheese of choice (optional)
- Sprinkle beef steak with salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Place steak in hot pan and brown both sides.
- Remove and place in crock pot.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine salsa, cumin, garlic, oregano, cloves, beef broth, vinegar, 2 T lime juice, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Pour mixture evenly over meat in crock pot, and top with bay leaves.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Shred with fork and mix.
- Serve over a bed of lettuce or paleo tortillas.
- Top with cilantro, avocado, lime juice, tomatoes and cheese (if desired.)