Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
Author: Kristen Barkley
Recipe type: Soup
Needing a tasty warm meal after a long cold day? This butternut squash soup is naturally creamy and delicious and good for you too!
- 5 lb butternut squash, peeled and cut into ¾ in cubes
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 1 T finely chopped fresh thyme
- 3 T olive oil
- sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 6 c chicken stock or vegetable stock
- ½ c dry white wine
- ½ t ground cinnamon
- ½ t ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Toss squash, onions, and thyme in olive oil, and spread mixture onto one or two large baking sheets.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Roast 20-30 min until tender, stirring once or twice.
- Remove from oven and transfer to a large sauce pot.
- Add stock, wine, and cardamom, and simmer 10 minutes.
- Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Transfer to a clean saucepan and check seasoning.
- When ready to serve, bring back to a simmer, and remove from heat.