Eggplant and Tomato Turkey Burgers
Author: Kristen Barkley
Recipe type: Main Dish
A twist on a classic sure to please everyone.
- 1 large eggplant
- 3 large roma tomatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup sheep feta cheese crumbles
- Juice from half a lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1.5 lb. ground turkey meat
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup fresh parsley, minced (or whatever fresh herbs you like)
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Prepare eggplant by washing and slicing into ½ inch slices. Brush with melted butter or olive oil and place on a warm grill.
- Place ground turkey, chopped onion, parsley, garlic powder and salt and pepper in large mixing bowl. Combine well with hands and form burger patties. Place patties on hot grill.
- While egg plant and burgers are cooking, wash and slice tomato into ¼ inch slices. Set aside. Take a handful (about half a cup) of basil and place in food processor with garlic, lemon juice, olive oil and salt and pepper. Blend well to make the basil spread. it will have a thinner consistency.
- Get a large baking sheet out and place foil on bottom of pan (optional just for easy clean up). Once eggplant is grilled on both sides, remove from grill and place on baking sheet.
- Top grilled egg plant with basil spread, sheep feta and tomato. Place in oven for about 15 minutes. Remove and top with turkey burger