Green Bean Casserole
Author: Kristen Barkley
Recipe type: Side Dish
This Dr. Brown approved version of the holiday classic, Green Bean Casserole, is both delicious and guiltless.
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced very thin
- 3 T Almond meal
- 1 T olive oil
- dash salt and pepper
- 2 lbs. fresh green beans
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 3 cloves minced garlic.
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced thin
- 1 small shallot
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 t arrowroot powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup pasture butter (use 1 tbsp at a time)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Slice Onion, add to bowl.
- Pour 1 tbsp olive oil. Coat onions well with Olive oil.
- Add 3 tbsp almond mill, salt and pepper. mix onions until coated well.
- Place on baking sheet and put in preheated oven.
- Cook for 35 minutes. stir onions and spread flat again every 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place green beans in a steamer.
- Steam beans till soft.
- Add beans to large casserole dish.
- Heat Skillet with 1 tbsp butter.
- Add sliced onion to hot pan on medium heat, and cook 2 minutes.
- Add garlic and shallots, and add 1 more tbsp butter, making sure you continue to stir.
- When onions have began to caramelize and soften, add mushrooms and more butter. Allow mushrooms to soften and caramelize.
- Once the onions and mushrooms have a golden brown tan, turn heat up to high.
- Add 1 tsp arrowroot powder and mix well.
- Pour half of your coconut milk into pan and mix well with arrow root. The sauce will begin to thicken.
- Add remaining coconut milk.
- Remove from heat, pour over green beans, and mix them together well.
- Add oven fried onions to the top and place back in the oven on 350 F for 25 minutes.