Sausage Roasted Veggies
Author: Kristen Barkley
A dish with some much flavor from the Italian turkey sausage, bell peppers, and red onion that your chef status will go to the next level.
- 2 Large Red Onions, cut into quarters and then into thick slices
- 1 Large Red Bell Peppers, seeds removed, cut into quarters and then into thick slices
- 1 Large Yellow Bell Pepper, seeds removed, cut into quarters and then into thick slices
- (or use 2 peppers any color you prefer)
- 1½ T olive oil + enough to brush the frying pan to brown the sausage
- 2 t Italian Herb Seasoning (I used Italian Herb Blend from The Spice House.)
- 4 or 5 Links Turkey Italian Sausage (I used 5th Street Grill precooked Turkey Italian Sausage, but any type of turkey Italian Sausage will work)
- Salt and Fresh Ground Black Pepper to Taste
- Preheat oven to 450F and spray a large baking sheet with olive oil. Cut the onions and peppers into quarters, and then into thick slices. Put the sliced vegetables into a bowl and toss them with the olive oil and then with the Italian herb seasoning.
- Arrange vegetables in a single layer on the baking sheet and roast for 10-15 minutes. After 10-15 minutes, stir the veggies, put them back in the oven and continue roasting. Meanwhile, brush a frying pan with olive oil, heat to medium, and start to brown the sausage. The pre-cooked sausage I used only needs to be cooked until it's nicely browned and heated through (about 10 minutes) but if you start with turkey Italian sausage that's not pre-cooked it will need 5-7 minutes longer cooking time.
- Roast the vegetables until they are well-browned, about 20-25 minutes total cooking time, depending on how done you like them. Season vegetables with salt and fresh ground black pepper. Slice the browned sausage on the diagonal and serve with the vegetables.
- This is best freshly cooked, but I reheated some leftovers in a frying pan and they were still pretty good the next day.
- Serve over cauliflower rice