Baked Chicken with Pomegranate Glaze
Author: Kristen Barkley
Recipe type: Main Dish
This pomegranate whole chicken dish is subtly sweet and completely delicious!
- 1 large lemon
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 5 lbs natural whole chicken
- 2 c pomegranate juice (unsweetened)
- 1 T organic Dijon mustard
- ½ t fresh garlic, minced
- 2 T plus 1 t arrowroot
- ¼ t freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pomegranate
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Poke holes in the lemon and place whole, along with rosemary, inside chicken cavity.
- Tie chicken legs together and place in roasting pan.
- Combine juice, mustard, garlic and arrowroot for basting.
- Pour mixture over chicken and sprinkle with black pepper.
- Bake 20 minutes and baste.
- Bake another 20 minutes and baste again.
- Add pomegranate seeds.
- Reduce heat to 350F and bake another hour, basting every 20 minutes.
- Pour off liquid and reserve.
- Let chicken rest 15 minutes under a “foil tent”.
- Skim fat off reserve liquid.
- Carve chicken and serve with reserved glaze.